Subject: [Vim-vms] Vim 6.2 crash

From: "Tomas Stehlik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:26:08 +0000

Hi all,

I had tested reported problem on my OpenVMS 7.3.1 (with latest patches - Install rating 1) and it runs well (I can't reproduce crash).

look at

$ prod sho hist
----------------------------------- ----------- ----------- --------------------
PRODUCT                             KIT TYPE    OPERATION   DATE AND TIME
----------------------------------- ----------- ----------- --------------------
DEC AXPVMS VMS731_ACRTL V3.0        Patch       Install     08-JAN-2004 18:57:06
DEC AXPVMS VMS731_SYS V5.0          Patch       Install     08-JAN-2004 18:15:15
DEC AXPVMS VMS731_UPDATE V2.0       Patch       Install     08-JAN-2004 17:44:41

....

Don't you miss some critical fix? (with description like)

KIT DESCRIPTION:

2.1  Installation Rating:

INSTALL_1 :  To be installed by all customers.

Better CRTL library can also help, but now I can't say which one helps.

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/mainPage.do

(be sure to use just propper ones for your VMS version)

Tomas

>Hi all,

>For the vim-dev readers:

>Does the file name expansion use vim's regexp code?

>Can you tell me which function or source file does the file name expansion?

>That's rather direct, but I'm a bit worried that you will all stop

>reading after the word "VMS" ;-)

>I think I found a new bug in vim/VMS 6.2.106 (I use the downloaded

>binary from http://www.polarfox.com/vim/).

>The following actions consistently crash vim:

>In the VIM directory, start vim and type:

>      :n syntax/

>For a few moments the prompt will show

>      :n syntax/...

>and finally

>      :n \[.syntax]2html.vim

>If you now press or , vim will crash:

>      Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS

>      Vim: Finished.

>In short, the command:

>      :n \[.syntax]

>crashes vim on VMS.

>I do not understand how/why/where vim inserts the '\' before the '[' and

>not before the ']'. I don't think that vim needs it to understand VMS

>path names.

>AFAIK, escaping '[' to '\[' is only necessary in regular expressions.

>Does the file name expansion use vim's regexp code?

>The function vms_unix_mixed_filespec() in os_vms.c expands pathnames

>from Unix to VMS format, but it does not seem to insert a '\'.

>The line

>      *out++ = '[';     /* Yes, denote a Vms subdirectory */

>looked suspicious to me, but I think the *out++ should correctly write

>'[' before incrementing 'out' (see e.g.

>http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q4.3.html)

>Does anybody know what's happening?

>Thanks in advance,

>Coen

>--__--__--

>Message: 2

>To: Coen Engelbarts

>Cc: [email-masked], Vim development mailing list

>From: Bram Moolenaar

>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:09:33 +0100

>Subject: [Vim-vms] Re: Vim 6.2 crash

>Coen Engelbarts wrote:

> > For the vim-dev readers:

> > Does the file name expansion use vim's regexp code?

> > Can you tell me which function or source file does the file name expansion?

>Yes, the regexp engine is used for finding matching file names.  Except

>when a machine-specific function should be used.  gen_expand_wildcards()

>is the central function.

> > I think I found a new bug in vim/VMS 6.2.106 (I use the downloaded

> > binary from http://www.polarfox.com/vim/).

> > The following actions consistently crash vim:

> > In the VIM directory, start vim and type:

> >      :n syntax/

> > For a few moments the prompt will show

> >      :n syntax/...

> > and finally

> >      :n \[.syntax]2html.vim

> > If you now press or , vim will crash:

> >      Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS

> >      Vim: Finished.

> > In short, the command:

> >      :n \[.syntax]

> > crashes vim on VMS.

> > I do not understand how/why/where vim inserts the '\' before the '[' and

> > not before the ']'. I don't think that vim needs it to understand VMS

> > path names.

> > AFAIK, escaping '[' to '\[' is only necessary in regular expressions.

> > Does the file name expansion use vim's regexp code?

>Using [] is a generic thing in filenames, just like using "*" and "?".

>Therefore a backslash is needed for a literal "[".  It's not needed for

>the "]", because it only has a special meaning after a "[".

> > The function vms_unix_mixed_filespec() in os_vms.c expands pathnames

> > from Unix to VMS format, but it does not seem to insert a '\'.

> > The line

> >      *out++ = '[';     /* Yes, denote a Vms subdirectory */

> > looked suspicious to me, but I think the *out++ should correctly write

> > '[' before incrementing 'out' (see e.g.

> > http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q4.3.html)

> > Does anybody know what's happening?

>The escaping is done in ExpandEscape().

>Anyway, even when inserting a backslash is not appropriate (which I

>still think is right), Vim should not crash.  I hope you can find out

>where the crash happens.

>--

>hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:

>269. You receive an e-mail from the wife of a deceased president, offering

>      to send you twenty million dollar, and you are not even surprised.

>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [email-masked] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\

>///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\

>\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///

>  \\\  Help AIDS victims, buy here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html  ///

>--__--__--

>Message: 3

>From: Arpadffy Zoltan

>To: [email-masked], Vim development mailing list

>Subject: RE: [Vim-vms] Vim 6.2 crash

>Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:31:24 +0100

>hi,

>VMS had problems with regex and filenames regarding syntax earlier as well,

>that had been corrected (or at least made an attempt to correct) somewhere

>in 6.1 level.

>If you have time I would suggest you to trace/debug the code.

>I will not have time during next few weeks, but later on I can take care

>about it.

>Regards,

>Z

>-----Original Message-----

>From: Coen Engelbarts [mailto:[email-masked]]

>Sent: den 13 januari 2004 16:47

>To: [email-masked]; Vim development mailing list

>Subject: [Vim-vms] Vim 6.2 crash

>Hi all,

>For the vim-dev readers:

>Does the file name expansion use vim's regexp code?

>Can you tell me which function or source file does the file name expansion?

>That's rather direct, but I'm a bit worried that you will all stop

>reading after the word "VMS" ;-)

>I think I found a new bug in vim/VMS 6.2.106 (I use the downloaded

>binary from http://www.polarfox.com/vim/).

>The following actions consistently crash vim:

>In the VIM directory, start vim and type:

>      :n syntax/

>For a few moments the prompt will show

>      :n syntax/...

>and finally

>      :n \[.syntax]2html.vim

>If you now press or , vim will crash:

>      Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS

>      Vim: Finished.

>In short, the command:

>      :n \[.syntax]

>crashes vim on VMS.

>I do not understand how/why/where vim inserts the '\' before the '[' and

>not before the ']'. I don't think that vim needs it to understand VMS

>path names.

>AFAIK, escaping '[' to '\[' is only necessary in regular expressions.

>Does the file name expansion use vim's regexp code?

>The function vms_unix_mixed_filespec() in os_vms.c expands pathnames

>from Unix to VMS format, but it does not seem to insert a '\'.

>The line

>      *out++ = '[';     /* Yes, denote a Vms subdirectory */

>looked suspicious to me, but I think the *out++ should correctly write

>'[' before incrementing 'out' (see e.g.

>http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q4.3.html)

>Does anybody know what's happening?

>Thanks in advance,

>Coen

>_______________________________________________

>Vim-vms mailing list

>[email-masked]

>http://www.polarhome.com/mailman/listinfo/vim-vms

>--__--__--

>_______________________________________________

>Vim-vms mailing list

>[email-masked]

>http://www.polarhome.com/mailman/listinfo/vim-vms

>End of Vim-vms Digest

Podelte se o sve skvele myslenky se svymi kolegy - MSN Messenger 6.1! Kliknete zde pro stazeni!