Subject: RE: [Vim-vms] Unable to build vim on vms 5.5-2 with slightly olde r C compiler.

From: Arpadffy Zoltan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:52:23 +0200

Jim,

input handling had been rewritten in 6.2-14 patch and it had not been tested
for older VMS than 6.2.
I would suggest you to use 6.1 source code from:
http://www.polarhome.com/vim/old.html
This source code is well patched (syntax hilighting work well in GUI mode
etc.) but it still uses the old keyboard input logic (that is much slower
and has few bugs. 

From other hand you may download required libraries from
http://www.polarhome.com:703/dka200/000000/*.*;
You need at least a DECUS hobbyist licence to use them, but if you already
run VMS, I assume that you have some valid commercial or hobbyist licence.

Regards, Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Agnew - Department of Neurosurgery, VCU Medical Center
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: den 22 oktober 2003 15:39
To: Arpadffy Zoltan
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Vim-vms] Unable to build vim on vms 5.5-2 with slightly
olde r C compiler.

Actually, I did put the newer DEC C onto the vax, vms 5.5-2 can have up 
to DEC C uh, the version number is in your log that I sent you, I don't 
have it right at the momemt.  The build proceeded beautifully until it 
hit that particular call in the os_vms.c file, and both your patch, and 
one done locally resulted in the vim giving that "caught fatal signal 
BUS", or something like that...

I do have the oldvax executables working at the moment, and it's 
wonderfull It also needed the newer ANSI DEC C libraries, and I provided 
  them to someone else (providing the DEC C runtime librariy for your 
project is allowed under the license).  I'm enjoying learning VI, but 
this version does not support the syntax hilighting..  howeever, I do 
have a learning curve so there is *NO* hurry about this. I realize you 
all have a life and all.

Thanks for all your help, Arpadffy...

Jim

---

From: "Jim Agnew - Department of Neurosurgery, VCU Medical Center" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:51:16 -0400

hhmm.. i'm using the DEC C V5.6-003... Wonder if that would make a diff?

Also, for the record for the list, I've looked thru the 6.0 release 
notes on our distribution, and it's good for vms 5.5-2..  you do need to 
install the C rtl and *start it first in the systartup_v5.com*..  it 
needs to be started and installed to be available for all the other 
stuff that was built in c like ucx, vi, etc...

Jim Agnew

(least that's how it's done on my system using the v5.6-003 rtl, and it 
works..)

-- 
"3,000 years ago I made a mistake."  Elrond Half-Elven, in "Fellowship 
of the Ring"

"I try not to be right any more than necessary". -- Larry Wall, author 
of the Perl Language