Subject: [Vim-vms] underscores (_) cannot be mapped

From: Samuel Ferencik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:17:45 +0100

Hi,

the underscore (_) is a typical map-leader (the LHS of mappings typically
starts with an _). However, for some reason it cannot be used in vim on vms.

Example:
:map _h :echo "hi"<CR>

In my gvim on Windows, when I create the mapping above, and then start
typing "_h", vim knows that "_" is the prefix of a mapping, so it does not
apply/type the "_" immediately. Instead, it cashes the keypress and displays
the "_" in the bottom-right corner. That means, vim is waiting for the next
key - if it is an "h", vim will apply the _h mapping; if it is an "o", vim
will type "_o" (since there is no mapping for _o).

However, this does not work on vms: the _ gets applied/typed immediately (it
is not cashed). Thus, typing _h does not apply the mapping, but performs the
"_" action and then the "h" action.

Sam

=======================
:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Jan 13 2009 12:38:00)
OpenVMS version - Alpha
Included patches: 1-79
Compiled by SYSTEM@ALPHA::alpha.polarhome.com
Huge version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
-clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments +cryptv -cscope -cursorshape +dialog_con +diff
+digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi
+file_in_path +find_in_path +float +folding -footer -gettext -hangul_input
-iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap -libcall
 +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname
+mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm
-mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang
-mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer
+profile -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs
+smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
+tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +tgetent +termresponse
+textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
+visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu
+windows -writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "sys$login:.vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "sys$login:_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "sys$login:.exrc"
  2nd user exrc file: "sys$login:_exrc"
Compilation: cc/def=(FEAT_HUGE,HAVE_CONFIG_H  )  /opt/prefix=all
/include=([.proto])
Compiler: Compaq C V6.5-001 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3
Linking: link /exe=vim.exe *.OBJ

---

From: Zoltan Arpadffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:40:20 +0100

Hello,

I was able to reproduce the errors... I'll check what can I do with  
them - unfortunately I do not have enough time to spend for Vim  
development lately, therefore I can not promise a very fast patch that  
solves them.

Specially that there are still some 7.3 related issues in the pipe,  
like encryption under vax and gtk2 support under VMS generally.

...but at least these issues are documented as known ones.

Thank you.

Regards,
Z

---
WebMail, polarhome.com