Subject: RE: [Vim-vms] Unable to build vim on vms 5.5-2 with slightly olde r C compiler.

From: Arpadffy Zoltan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:46:54 +0200

hi,

newsgroup should work...

Regarding Vim build on VMS 5.5: I can imagine that there are troubles,
because it has just VAX C that is not fully compatible with ANSI C standard.
Vim code follows ANSI C standard, therefore there are some hints and even
one command procedure in the source tree in order to help users that want to
build Vim with VAX C.

Make files do support that build, but code itself has to be prepared.

More to read at installvms.txt.
Use os_fix_vms.com, Steve Wall's command procedure.

...and as a last solution you can download executables for VMS 5.5-2 built
by John W. Hamill from:
ftp://www.polarhome.com/pub/vim/oldvax/

Regards, Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Agnew - Department of Neurosurgery, VCU Medical Center
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: den 21 oktober 2003 21:53
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Vim-vms] Unable to build vim on vms 5.5-2 with slightly older
C compiler.

a thread on this problem is on the vim list, and I'm trying to see if 
this is a working newsgroup, since I think I've subscribed...

sorry for the trouble..

Jim Agnew
-- 
"3,000 years ago I made a mistake."  Elrond Half-Elven, in "Fellowship 
of the Ring"

"I try not to be right any more than necessary". -- Larry Wall, author 
of the Perl Language

_______________________________________________
Vim-vms mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.polarhome.com/mailman/listinfo/vim-vms

---

From: "Jim Agnew - Department of Neurosurgery, VCU Medical Center" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:39:21 -0400

Actually, I did put the newer DEC C onto the vax, vms 5.5-2 can have up 
to DEC C uh, the version number is in your log that I sent you, I don't 
have it right at the momemt.  The build proceeded beautifully until it 
hit that particular call in the os_vms.c file, and both your patch, and 
one done locally resulted in the vim giving that "caught fatal signal 
BUS", or something like that...

I do have the oldvax executables working at the moment, and it's 
wonderfull It also needed the newer ANSI DEC C libraries, and I provided 
  them to someone else (providing the DEC C runtime librariy for your 
project is allowed under the license).  I'm enjoying learning VI, but 
this version does not support the syntax hilighting..  howeever, I do 
have a learning curve so there is *NO* hurry about this. I realize you 
all have a life and all.

Thanks for all your help, Arpadffy...

Jim