Subject: [Vim-vms] vim hanging upon Esc

From: "Samuel Ferencik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:09:26 +0100

Hi,

I am using the console vim on VMS on Alpha. Please see below for version info.

My vim hangs when I do the following:
1. execute an Ex command (e.g. :maps or :autocmd) that produces much
output -- so much that it is split into several pages, and the user is
prompted with "-- More --" after each page of output,
2. instead of Enter or Space (which would show more), press Esc -> vim freezes

I cannot reproduce this in my Windows vim, so I think it could be a bug...

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Sam

--
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Sep 10 2007 16:24:11)
OpenVMS version - Alpha
Included patches: 1-100
Compiled by SYSTEM@ALPHA::alpha.polarhome.com
Big version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist
+cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope -cursorshape +dialog_con +diff
+digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags
+eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
+folding -footer -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand
+jumplist +keymap +langmap -libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
+localmap +menu +mksession +modify_fname
+mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm
+mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg
-osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile -python
+quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby
+scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop
+syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +tgetent
+termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit
+virtualedit +visual +visualextra
+viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows -writebackup -X11
-xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "sys$login:.vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "sys$login:_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "sys$login:.exrc"
  2nd user exrc file: "sys$login:_exrc"
Compilation: cc/def=(FEAT_BIG,HAVE_CONFIG_H  )  /opt/prefix=all
/include=([.proto])
Compiler: Compaq C V6.5-001 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3
Linking: link /exe=vim.exe *.OBJ

---

From: "Arpadffy Zoltan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:47:13 +0100

Hello,

>Can anyone else reproduce this?

It can easily be, because the console has rather special sys$qio
handling of the input.

May I ask you to do the following?

1. please, try to reproduce with latest executable - because there has
been changes in ex commands since patch 100

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Jan 24 2008 11:47:39)
OpenVMS version - Alpha
Included patches: 1-236

2. please, check if you can reproduce the error with GUI/Motif or
GUI/GTK executables - as they use another input mechanism.

Thanks,
Z