Subject: [Vim-vms] New patch - new executables

From: "Arpadffy Zoltan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:01:07 +0100

Hello,
 
I regret, but it was needed to revoke some parts of patches 171 and 180,
that targeted complex path problem - and caused lot of other buffer
naming related problems. The right way to go is to rewrite the Vim file
handling in order to use internally the full filename (including the
path). Unfortunately, it is a more demanding task than it looked in the
beginning and because of lack of time I was not able to make a
correction that really works.  
 
Therefore it was more wise to revoke filename and path related parts of
those patches and wait until we develop the real solution.
This is actually what patch 7.0-208 does.
 
This means that after patch 208 we are back to our nice and stable Vim
with minor improvements from VMS point of view, and lot of inherited
general bug fixes.
But we still have complex path problem bug on TODO and known problems
list.
 
Just for your confidence here is an example of complex path problem:

DEF TESTPATH DKA0:[A],DKA0:[B],DKA0:[C]

There is a file DKA0:[C]test.txt;1

VMS is able to search non executables in the path as well.

Therefore this is a valid editing command: vim TESTPATH:test.txt But
after saving the edited file Vim will save it as TESTPATH:test.txt and
VMS will resolve TESTPATH with first directory in the path - DKA0:[A]
(and save the file as DKA0:[A]test.txt) instead of DKA0:[C]test.txt;2

>From other side editing like vim DKA0:[C]test.txt works perfect as it
should.

IA64, Alpha and VAX executables are tested and it is possible to
download from http://www.polarhome.com/vim/

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Mar  7 2007 11:12:14)
OpenVMS version - Alpha
Included patches: 1-208
Compiled by SYSTEM@ALPHA::alpha.polarhome.com
Big version with GTK GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent
+clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments
+cryptv -cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd
-ebcdic
+emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
+find_in_path
+folding -footer -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
+keymap
 +langmap -libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
+mksession
+modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
+mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
-netbeans_intg
-osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile -python
+quickfix
+reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff
+statusline
-sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl
+tgetent
+termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit
+virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore
+wildmenu
+windows -writebackup +X11 +xfontset -xim -xsmp +xterm_clipboard
-xterm_save
   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "sys$login:.vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "sys$login:_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "sys$login:.exrc"
  2nd user exrc file: "sys$login:_exrc"
  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
    user gvimrc file: "sys$login:.gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "sys$login:_gvimrc"
    system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
Compilation: cc/def=(FEAT_BIG,HAVE_CONFIG_H,FEAT_GUI_GTK  )
/opt/prefix=all/name=(as_is,short)/float=ieee/ieee=denorm  /include=([
.proto],decw$include:,"/gtk_root/gtk","/gtk_root/glib")
Compiler: Compaq C V6.5-001 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3
Linking: link /exe=vim.exe *.OBJ ,OS_VMS_GTK.OPT/OPT

I am sorry for caused inconvenience.

Regards, 

Z