Subject: RE: [Vim-vms] vim hangs

From: "David C. Lyon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:47:37 -0700

Hi,

Yes, I use SSH (Process Software www.process.com) and connect using
Putty client - VT100 emulation. I've noticed the cut/paste issue but in
my case, I can hit a key and get another line from the paste buffer
until it is all pasted. I have the VMS box in my office and can hear the
disk activity. It sure seems like each character pasted must be getting
written to the swp file one by one. 

I have tried the VILE editor and don't have the paste or the multiple
file edit issue. I can also do the tab at the :e command and get a list
of files. I took a quick look at the VILE source (file.c). I think they
do all the file access code there. I stopped using VILE because it was
unpredictably corrupting files, as I recall.

Thanks for looking into this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
David C. Lyon, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona      
Instructional and Information Tech.  http://david.c.lyon.home.att.net
---------------------------------------------------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Zoltan Arpadffy
> Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:54 PM
> To: 'Vim text editor list on OpenVMS'
> Subject: [Vim-vms] vim hangs
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I have localized and identify the problem... seems it is not a Vim
related
> bug but HP TCPIP ssh related.
> 
> I am not 100% sure, but I guess that you access your VMS host remotely
> using ssh.
> Seems ssh sessions do not behave exactly the same as telnet sessions -
> please do not ask me why.
> 
> So, in ssh session Vi hangs. In telnet session it works perfect.
Easily
> edit more than 200 files.
> 
> Another odd behaviour of ssh sessions is cut and paste anomaly.
> While I can paste huge (text) blocks into a Vim window in telnet
session,
> ssh sessions allow barely more than one line of text - the rest is
> ignored.
> 
> Please confirm, am I right?
> 
> Regards,
> Z