Subject: [Vim-vms] Vim 7!

From: Zoltan Arpadffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:35:57 +0200 (CEST)

hi,

Vim 7 executables for OpenVMS are available at 
http://www.polarhome.com/vim/ or 
ftp://ftp.polarhome.com/pub/vim/

Please note IPv6 connection does not work nowadays :(

Regards,
Z

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: den 8 maj 2006 11:30
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Vim 7!

Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.0

Vim 7 is ready!  After years of development this feature packed editor
is waiting for you.

Since Vim 6.4 many new features have been added.  To mention a few:

- Spell checking support for about 50 languages
- Intelligent completion for C, HTML, Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.
- Tab pages, each containing multiple windows
- Undo branches: never accidentally lose text again
- Vim script supports Lists and Dictionaries (similar to Python)
- Vim script profiling
- Improved Unicode support
- Highlighting of cursor line, cursor column and matching braces
- Translated manual pages support.
- Internal grep; works on all platforms, searches compressed files
- Browsing remote directories, zip and tar archives
- Printing multi-byte text

Once you have installed Vim 7.0 you can find details about the changes
since Vim 6.4 with ":help version7".

Credits
-------

A lot of people helped making Vim 7 possible by providing patches,
suggestions, bug reports and proofreading the documentation.  You can
find their names with ":help version7".  Many thanks to all of them!

Also thanks to Vim sponsors who supported me while working on Vim 7.  I
am now going back to a paid job.  Please continue sponsoring Vim.  The
money now goes to help children in Uganda.  The more you help them the
more I will feel obliged to work on Vim.  There is a drought right now,
we need to help 200 families with food.  http://www.vim.org/sponsor/

Where to get it
---------------

Information about which files to download for what system:
         http://www.vim.org/download.php

A list of mirror sites can be found here:
         http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

Downloading through ftp from:
         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/

Downloading through http from:
         http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/

Using rsync:
         rsync://ftp.nl.vim.org/Vim

Using Subversion:
         http://www.vim.org/subversion.php

Anonymous CVS is five week behind and doesn't have Vim 7.0 yet.

An overview of the files:

UNIX:
unix/vim-7.0.tar.bz2           sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed

VARIOUS:
extra/vim-7.0-extra.tar.gz     extra (non-Unix) files
extra/vim-7.0-lang.tar.gz      multi-language files
doc/vim70html.zip              help files converted to HTML

MS-WINDOWS:
pc/gvim70.exe                  self-installing, includes all runtime
files
pc/vim70rt.zip                 runtime files
pc/vim70lang.zip               files for translated messages and menus
pc/gvim70.zip                  GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
pc/gvim70ole.zip               GUI binary with OLE support
pc/gvim70_s.zip                GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
pc/vim70d16.zip                16 bit console version for MS-DOS
pc/vim70d32.zip                console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
pc/vim70w32.zip                console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
pc/vim70src.zip                sources for PC (with CR-LF)

DIFFS TO PREVIOUS BETA
unstable/unix/vim-7.0g-7.0.diff.gz           sources + runtime files
unstable/extra/vim-7.0g-7.0-extra.diff.gz    extra files
unstable/extra/vim-7.0g-7.0-lang.diff.gz     multi-language files

SPELL FILES
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/
http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/

You should be able to do ":set spellang=xx" and Vim will offer you to
download spell files for "xx".

Mailing lists
-------------

For user questions you can turn to the Vim mailing list.  There are a
lot of tips, scripts and solutions.  You can ask your Vim questions, but
only if you subscribe.  See http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim

If you want to help Vim development or get the latest patches, subscribe
to the vim-dev mailing list.  See
http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-dev

Subject specific lists:
Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
Macintosh issues:  http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
already have given the answer.

Reporting bugs
--------------

Send them to <[email-masked]>.  Please describe the problem precisely.
All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
spent on improving Vim!  Always give a reproducible example and try to
find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
bug.  Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE".  Try
different machines if possible.  See ":help bugs" in Vim.  Send me a
patch if you can!

If something needs discussing with other developers, send a message to
the vim-dev mailing list.  You need to subscribe first.

Happy Vimming!

--
Well, you come from nothing, you go back to nothing...  What have you
lost?  Nothing!
 				-- Monty Python: The life of Brian

  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [email-masked] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
\\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/
\\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org
///
  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org
///