[Nasional-m] (no subject)

Ambon nasional-m@polarhome.com
Thu Sep 5 00:00:29 2002

The Jakarta Post
Sept. 5, 2002

Visa for tourists

The government would gain virtually nothing by sharply cutting the number of
countries entitled to Indonesia's free visa-on-entry policy. Such a bold
measure would instead further hurt the tourism industry which has been
debilitated by security problems in several provinces.
Marketing Indonesia as a viable tourist destination now is already an uphill
task as the country is still reeling from the excesses of its transition
from an authoritarian rule to a democratic one and from a centralized
government to regional autonomy.
Adding insult to injury, the steady stream of bad news in domestic and
international mass media about security problems in Aceh, Maluku and Central
Sulawesi and international allegations that the country is hospitable to
terrorist elements have projected Indonesia as an unsafe destination for
travelers.
True, as Immigration Director General Imam Santoso said, a number of
visitors, including narcotics traffickers, had abused the free visas to
conduct business or work illegally.
Anywhere in the world, such a courtesy always faces the risk of being
abused. The question now is whether the risk is already so big and entirely
unmanageable that it immediately requires such a drastic, sweeping measure.
Limiting the visa-free facility to countries on a reciprocal basis would not
help much in preventing drug dealers from entering Indonesia. Networking
with anti-narcotics commissions overseas and exchanging intelligence
information with them have been and are still the most effective ways of
combating drug trafficking.
Likewise, the benefits that could be gained from minimizing the abuse of
tourist visas for those who illegally work in the country would be rather
negligible compared to the damages to the tourism industry that a severely
restrictive visa policy would inflict.
Had it not been for the bad image Indonesia acquired soon after the 1997
economic crisis and the 1998 political turbulence, the country would now be
a paradise for foreign travelers thanks to the rock-bottom costs of local
goods and services that were brought about by the 70 percent loss the rupiah
has suffered in its value against the American dollar.
The wide variety of tourist attractions that the world's largest archipelago
country can offer is an advantage to woo revisits.
As a resource-based industry, tourism is also one of the most suitable
businesses Indonesia should develop because of its multiplier effect and the
labor-intensive nature of its operations. Travel-related businesses such as
hotels, restaurants, transportation, handicraft and cultural shows are all
labor intensive, just the kind of enterprises needed to absorb the huge pool
of job seekers.
There are perhaps some merits in the government's plan to shorten the
duration of the free visas for tourists from 60 days now to 30 days because
well-heeled, big-spending travelers that the country wants to attract do not
generally need such a lengthy stay anyway.
However, severely reducing the number of countries eligible to for free
visas -- currently 48 -- and limiting the facility only to countries on a
reciprocal basis would only inflict more damage to our tourism industry
because that policy would force tourists from our biggest markets to grapple
with the arduous procedure for obtaining visas.
It is worth reminding those in power, that the immigration service is a
vital component of the gateway to Indonesia. Immigration officials are the
first people that foreign visitors deal with, and we should magnanimously
acknowledge that our civil servants are not among the most efficient in the
world.
The blunt fact is we need foreign tourists with their hard currency much
more than they need us, and our country is not the only exotic tourist
destination in this part of the world. Just witness how miserably low have
been the occupancy rates of our hotels.
If a country like Indonesia, still beset with so many problems, made things
more difficult for travelers, they would simply choose other destinations.